Thursday, January 21, 2010

One or the other

So after getting into film cameras over the past few months I have really fallen in love with photography, I’ve always really appreciated it as an art form but now I’m seeing it as something that I could really get into in the coming years. But with my two main film cameras I have started kissing all the money I have goodbye because of developing all the film I use. So I have decided to start looking into getting a fairly decent digital camera so it can just be a one off payment and then maybe more but only for lenses etc. But I’m not sure which way I want to go. I’ve always really liked the big SLRs like a Canon EOS but at the same time I’m not sure if I want such a big thing that I’ll have to carry around with me. So I’ve narrowed it down to two types/models of camera. One is the entry level Canon EOS 1000D which is a nice simple/fairly good SLR. The other, Canon again, is the Canon Powershot G10 (both Canon I know but I will look further with brands at a later date just using their models as a jumping off point) this camera is still rather large (I don’t want to go too small) but has a really good lens, megapixel and some nice settings. Pictures of both bellow. So basically this is a post to anyone reading that may know a bit more about/have more experience in cameras than me. Is it worth it to lose out on interchangeable lenses and go for the cheaper and smaller? Or in the future will that comeback to bite you? Any kind of opinion would be helpful (doesn’t even have to be from a person of my perspective) I just want a bit more information on this kind of thing. So I hope someone can give me an opinion!

Peace

This is the 1000D and this is the G11*

*couldn't find an image of the G10 fast enough


3 comments:

  1. I use a Canon 450D, which is the next step up from a 1000D and it takes some really brilliant photographs. Although I have been looking into the G11 as a second camera for those times when you dont want to cart around such a big camera. Not much help from me sorry. Would suggest either a Canon or Nikon though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I've got the EOS 400D and manage to carry it around everywhere. But it is a little bulky and I basically carry nothing else to make up for it.
    The kit lens which came with the 400D was fine but I switched to the 50f/1.8 which doesn't zoom at all but is better in low light - which is good because I hate using the flash.
    And like anything, the camera itself would only take you so far.

    I think ... get the G11. That way, even if you do save and get the EOS, you have a small camera as backup if you don't want to take the EOS somewhere, like the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm I like the idea of the no need for flash Sarah because it can be really distracting and also alert to everyone around you that 'hey I'm taking a picture! Just by the way' but I'm not sure if I'd want tohave to buy two cameras to make up for the faults of one. I think I'm leading more towards the DSLRs purely because the pros out weigh the cons.

    ReplyDelete